Phase 6: Maintaining your Money
- Once a year, reassess your financial plan.
You may be saying to yourself, "I don't have a financial plan!" Ah, but you do! You have your financial goals written down, and you are learning about different ways to invest to reach those goals. Each year, we like to give our plans the once-over to see if they are still working the way we want them to, and to make any changes necessary. A good time to do this is around tax time.
1. Look over your financial goals and investments.
2. Ask, "Am I getting closer to my goals? Have I reached any? Do I need to make changes to suit my current circumstances?"
3. Adjust as necessary.
4. You're done!
- Get a yearly credit report.
As you may have heard, you are entitled to a free credit report each year. This report tells you what's been happening with your credit: credit cards you have, if your payments are regular and on time, what loans you have, etc. These things determine your credit rating, or credit score, which greatly influence your financial opportunities. Thus, it is important for us to know what is being said about us in this report!
1. Get online and go to annualcreditreport.com.
2. Enter your state and select 'Request Report.'
3. Enter in your information.
4. Select a credit reporting agency, it doesn't matter which.
5. Click 'next' to be taken to their site.
6. Enter the last 4 digits of your Social Security Number.
7. At their site, select the free 'Annual Credit Report.'
8. Follow the steps to complete your order.
9. You're done!